The Sonoma Plaza


Sonoma's central plaza, the largest of its kind in California, was originally surveyed by General Vallejo in 1834 with the help of Captain William A. Richardson, the same man who later played an important role in the early development of San Francisco. Site of many fiestas, parades, and other historical events, the plaza was dedicated as a National Historic Landmark on September 24, 1961.