SONOMA PETALUMA PARKS, Inc. (SPParks), formerly known as Sonoma/Petaluma State Historic Parks Association, is a non-profit organization incorporated in June, 1982 as a cooperating association of the California State Park Association.
To further the preservation and interpretive and educational functions of the Sonoma and Petaluma Adobe State Historic Parks.
SPParks three "pillars" of support for our parks:
- Funds docent training and enrichment
- Funds park staff attendance at seminars and workshops
- Underwrites the many community events at each of the park venues
- Initiated a plan and raised funds for the phased repair of the walls of the Petaluma Adobe, a multi-year effort
- Funded a water clarification system for the pond at the Vallejo Home
- Funded an audio system for the Mission Chapel and a flat screen TV display for the Barracks
- Sponsors concerts, lectures and theater performances at the parks
- Participates in community events such as the July 4 parade
- Promotes our parks' interests before local and state governments
We sponsor annual events including Children's Day at the Mission, Victorian Christmas Crafts Workshop, Christmas at the Mission, Pueblo Day, Sheep Shearing Day, Fandango and Rancho Day. Throughout the year we sponsor concerts and lectures in the Mission Chapel and other special events.
Beside the satisfaction of participation in a worthy effort, members receive:
- 20% discount (10% on books) in our gift shops
- $5.00 discount at sponsore concerts and lectures
- Quarterly issues of the Gazette
- Voting privileges in the Association
- Opportunity to participate in sponsored park programs