Our first quarterly docent meeting of 2021 was held on Zoom on Saturday, January 16th. Sixteen people were in attendance. Highlights of the meeting include:
- Vera Svalgaard provided an overview of lace making and summarized progress on the lace for the altar cloth that is being made by Vera, Mary Ann Hadley, Kit Foster and others. This will be a gift from the docents to State Parks to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the establishment of Mission San Francisco Solano (2023). If you would like to contribute to this awesome effort (to help cover the cost of materials) you can leave a cash donation at the Barracks Store or donate by credit card or PayPal. Specify that the donation is to be used for the altar cloth.
- Ranger Rob Pickett provided an overview of the many maintenance tasks as well as virtual school tours that are happening while the Sonoma and Petaluma State Historic Parks are closed. Details are in the Winter 2021 Gazette.
- Jim Danaher, president of the Sonoma Petaluma Parks (SPParks) cooperating association, reminded everyone that the Barracks Store is open for business Thursday – Monday. While the parks are closed, you can still support our parks by shopping at the Barracks Store or by joining SPParks. Please contact Mike Owens if you have questions about membership.
- Ellen and Hugh McBride reported on several books including Feud, An Imperfect Union and El Norte. Book club members and other interested readers are encouraged to contact Ellen and Hugh to find out more about their recommendations.
- Lisa Tremblay offered several books as giveaways to docents since multiple copies are in the docent library. (Ed. note – they have all been snapped up.) She also reminded everyone about the Zoom lecture on January 28th by Janet Sands titled “On a Mission” – a good opportunity for docent enrichment.
- Suzanne Berube reported that during the next California Missions Foundation conference there will be a meeting for docents who give tours at missions and related sites. The docents meeting is free of charge. You can get more information on the Foundation website.
- Suzanne Berube and Sharon Douglas talked about the docent organization going forward. Our next quarterly docent meeting will put us back on our regular schedule and will be held on March 13th at 10 am via Zoom. At that meeting, Dr. Peter Meyerhof will present a talk, “A Tour of the Sonoma Mission as it was in 1834” – another good opportunity for docent enrichment. Please send any ideas you have for docent enrichment and docent refresher training to Suzanne and Sharon.